I read a wonderful blog post by Miriam Rockness today that spoke so strongly to issues I’ve struggled with this week.
She quotes from the book, Adventures in Prayer by Catherine Marshall. I’m posting the questions here in the hope they might help someone else discern if something they long for is truly God’s will for them.
Questions to help one determine if one’s “dream” springs from selfish human will or the will of God:
1. Will my dream fulfill the talents, the temperament, and emotional needs which God has planted in my being?
2. Does my dream involve taking anything or any person belonging to someone else?
3. Am I willing to make all my relationships with other people right?
4. Do I want this dream with my whole heart?
5. Am I willing to wait patiently for God’s timing?
6. Am I dreaming big?
I’m pretty sure reading that, where I’ve been coming unstuck is #5!